Re: Can apt access a local cdrom?

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 03:47:00PM -0400, John Forest wrote:
>  Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >

> > No, I already tried this and it doesn't work. It gives "unable to state
> > /cdrom/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz"
> >
> > The problem seems to be that the file structure on my cdrom is
> > /debian/main/binary-i386/.  Stable is a link to /debian/main.  This doesn't
> > seem to be what  apt-get wants, and I don't seem to be able to tell it what
> > to do.
> >
> A quick solution is to use the absolute path as in:
> 	deb file:/cdrom/debian main/binary-i386/
> 	deb file:/cdrom/debian contrib/binary-i386/
> 	etc.
> Note the trailing slash after the binary-i386.  This indicates an absolute
> path.  Apt will look for: /cdrom/debian/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz etc.
>
> See man sources.list(5).
>
> John.

Brilliant! Yes, thanks, this is now working.  My problem previously was that
I was putting the whole path on one line, instead of leaving a space after
../debian.

I think the man page for sources.list might be more clearly written, with
more examples. It's rather misleading as it stands.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk