Re: lowmem installation trouble

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 04:44:14PM -0800, Larry Fletcher wrote:
> On Oct 06 1998, equant@azstarnet.com wrote:
> > I am trying to install Debian on my 386 w/ 4Megs of RAM and
[snip]
> I've been trying the same thing.  So far I have been able to install
> Debian Hamm from 1.44 disks using the "Installing Debian Linux 2.0
[snip]
> I've tried installing it three times with the same result.  I assume
> its a memory problem and I can't add more RAM.
>
> Does anyone know if there is an older version of Debian or another
> version that will work with a 386 and 4Megs of RAM?  (Something I can
> get via FTP.)

I've installed Debian 1.3.1r6 on a 386 with 3Megs, EGA display and two 160MB
ESDI HD with no difficulties. Just had to compile a kernel with make zImage
instead of make bzImage because bzImage tests for the presence of 3MB of
extended memory.

I do think that kernel on lowmem.bin should be made as zImage for those of us
crazy enough to try to install debian on computers with less than 4MB ;-)

> Thanks,

You're welcome

--
Laurent PICOULEAU