Re: Can apt access a local cdrom?

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 11:38:27AM -0400, Jim Foltz wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 03:46:58PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I have succeeded in getting apt to connect to a distant ftp site but I've
> > been unable to get it to access my cdrom drive, which currently has the
> > Cheapbytes version of debian. I've tried every combination of deb file:/cdrom
> > I can think of but I keep getting "malformed line in sources.list".
> >
> > Is it possible to do this?  If so, how?
>
> First, mount the cd
> Then add the line:
> deb file:/cdrom/debian stable main
> (assuming you have the cd mounted under /cdrom and it is the stable/main cd)

No, I already tried this and it doesn't work. It gives "unable to state
/cdrom/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz"

The problem seems to be that the file structure on my cdrom is
/debian/main/binary-i386/.  Stable is a link to /debian/main.  This doesn't
seem to be what  apt-get wants, and I don't seem to be able to tell it what
to do.

> Anyway, add the line to /etc/apt/sources.list, and comment out all others.
> Third, you can use dselect's apt method as usual, or use apt-get from the
> command line.

I'm not sure how to do this; I'll have to research it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk