turnkey debian?

I had this idea of basing a turnkey end user system on debian linux.
In order to pull this off, a login prompt is NOT WANTED.  I want the
system to come up running the end application.  (some backdoor method
of logging in as root would be provided for system maintance).  The
default application would have limited
system access (only what it neeeds).

An example: The company I work for makes medical diagnostic equipment
(blood cell counters).  The user currently interfaces to the system
via a computer running a turnkey application (under dos or windows).
There is no user login, the machine hits the floor running the user
application.  (back doors to get to dos prompt with a password).  How
can debian linux be set up to do something similar?

(I wouldn't bet that I would be allowed to suggest linux now for such
a system, but maybe in a few years?)