Re: turnkey debian?

Quoting Kenneth Scharf (scharkalvin@yahoo.com):
> I had this idea of basing a turnkey end user system on debian linux.
> In order to pull this off, a login prompt is NOT WANTED.  I want the
> system to come up running the end application.  (some backdoor method
> of logging in as root would be provided for system maintance).  The
> default application would have limited system access (only what it
> neeeds).

No big deal. Disable telnet, rlogin, etc. Turn ssh on as your remote
maintainence entrance. Edit /etc/inittab: change the line that says
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
1:2345:respawn:/bin/your_program your_args
or
1:2345:respawn:/bin/su -c '/path/your_program your_args' - userid
if you don't want your program to run as root. Comment out the next five
lines if you really don't want login prompts.

Mike Stone