Re: CD Writer Recommendation

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 09:47:10AM +0000, David Warnock wrote:
> I need to add a CD Writer to my system. Can anyone give me a
> recommendation for a very reliable and fast writer (I only need
> writeable not re-writeable). I am only interested in a SCSI interface
> and would prefer an internal unit.

I own a Plextor PlexWriter 4x12 internal SCSI CD writer.  It is write
only.  It has thus far been 100% reliable.  It is supported by
cdrecord (the software you will use to burn under Linux).  It burns at
4x speed and reads at 12x speed.

> For the record (in case it affects anything) I have 2 adaptec scsi cards
> both 2940's one is scsi 2 and the other scsi 3. The scsi 2 has a jaz
> drive on it and the scsi 3 my hard disk.

I run mine from an Adaptec 2940uw.  The ultra wide cables are 68 pin,
and my cd writer is 50 pin, so I did have to get a 68-to-50 pin
adapter, but that was no big deal.

Good luck!
Matt