Re: Win98 <=> Linux via E-net

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Jeff Miller wrote:

> I am trying to setup my home LAN with a Win98 machine and a Linux
> machine with ethernet.  I have successfully setup the ethernet NIC but I
> am not sure what to do next.  I want to be able to copy files from the
> Win98 machine to the Linux hard drive using explorer.  I also want to be
> able to connect to the internet with the Win98 box's modem, but access
> the internet with the Linux machine.  Anybody out there done this
> already? I appreciate any tips or suggestions.

 I've done this with Windows 3.11, at least. Use the "Samba" package, and
you can share your Linux drives to the Windows box no problem.

 For the second, though, I strongly recommend putting the modem on the
Linux box, and using IP masquerading. Once I got the boxes networking, I
made sure the kernel supported IP masq and gave a one-line ipfwadm command
and everything was hunky-dory. You *can* share a modem under Windows with
a Linux box, but you need to buy software for the Windows box. Check out
the Windows Modem Sharing HOWTO.

 For Samba & IP masq, check out the Samba HOWTO and the IP Masquerading
HOWTO.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 If all the muscles in your body pulled in the same direction, you
 could lift over twenty tons. But you'd walk funny. - L. M. Boyd