Re: Win98 <=> Linux via E-net

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Jeff Miller wrote:

> I am trying to setup my home LAN with a Win98 machine and a Linux
> machine with ethernet.  I have successfully setup the ethernet NIC but
> I am not sure what to do next.  I want to be able to copy files from
> the Win98 machine to the Linux hard drive using explorer.  I also want
> to be able to connect to the internet with the Win98 box's modem, but
> access the internet with the Linux machine.  Anybody out there done
> this already?  I appreciate any tips or suggestions.

You should be able to copy files between machines using a ftp client on
the Win98 machine. If you want to use Explorer, you will need to install
the samba package.

I would recommend putting the modem on the Linux machine and using diald
and IP-masquerading to route the Win98 machine to the internet.
Alternatively you could run wingate on the Win98 machine.  I think it is
free for a two-computer installation.

Bob
----