RE: Win98 <=> Linux via E-net

Jeff Miller [mailto:jmiller@gfs.com] wrote:

> I am trying to setup my home LAN with a Win98 machine and a Linux
> machine with ethernet.  I have successfully setup the ethernet

I have a similar setup, but with win95.

> NIC but I am not sure what to do next.  I want to be able to copy
> files from the Win98 machine to the Linux hard drive using

I use ftp. I installed some ftp-server software on my winbox (called warftp,
available at http://tucows.webaccess.net/window95.html.  Warftp works great.
After I installed and configured it (relatively painlessly), I was able to
transfer files via ftp across my LAN, using the "ftp" command in linux. (No
more swapping diskettes :-)  Today, my cousin accessed my ftp-server over
the
internet, too.

You may already have ftpd (ftp daemon) installed on your linux box, in which
case you can use the ftp command from a dos window and connect to the
ftp-server on the linux box.  Try "ftp 192.168.x.x" from the dos command
line
replace 192.168.x.x with the IP address you assigned to the ethercard in
your
linux box).  If you can ping your linux box from your windows box by name,
you
can also use "ftp hostname".

I saw another post on this subject from dsb3@earthlink.net suggesting samba.
I have installed samba via ftp, and am in the process of configuring it.
>From all accounts, samba is the way to go if you have winboxes and unix
boxes
on the same network.  It allows resources (drives and printers) on unix
boxes
including linux) to show up in the network neighborhood on a windows box.
It also allows a unix (or linux) system to mount a shared windows drive or
directory.  I've been using a book by John D. Blair called
"SAMBA - Integrating UNIX and Windows" (ISBN: 1-57831-006-7) and recommend
it highly.  It comes with a samba distirbution on CD-rom, although I
downloaded the .deb package (it installed pretty easily).

> I also want to be able to connect to the internet with
> the Win98 box's modem, but access the internet with the Linux
> machine.  Anybody out there done this already?  I appreciate any
> tips or suggestions.

I'm still working on this one myself.  I installed proxy-server software on
the winbox, but I've been told you must make your software "aware" of the
fact that it will be accessing the internet via proxy.  I haven't figured
that one out yet (but I can let you know when I do).  Eventually, though,
I'd like to setup IP masquerading on the linux box and have other machines
on my LAN access the internet through it.  From what I've gathered, IP
masquerading is transparent to applications.  This seems like a huge
advantage over a proxy-server.

Anyhow, try to setup an ftp link and install samba; let me know how it goes.
If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Have fun,

David