Re: How to start PPP?

I've just discovered the chat command (I'm a newbie). I can echo a command
from the prompt to the modem, but when I try "chat "" ATZ OK
ATDT(phonenum)" the system sits for a while displaying "ATZ" and then just
returns me to the prompt. As mentioned below, apparently the echo command
from the prompt "sees" the modem, but chat does not. Any clues?

Thanks.

PS (I installed from floppies, so I don't yet have the man pages. Can
anyone send the basic syntax of the chat command, along with an example or
two? Thanks.)

At 07:47 AM 9/17/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>At 05:34 AM 9/17/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>>1: the documentation for ppp is in the man pages, which you probably
>>have not installed?
>
>Correct; I don't yet have the man pages installed.

<snip>

>Yes, my /etc/ppp/peers/provider references /dev/ttyS1.(I wiped the drive
>and reinstalled thinking maybe it was something with the serial support in
>the kernel; I get no errors when booting and the system recognizes both
>serial ports as 16550, etc. I also took the default of "provider" instead
>of "bub" during pppconfig).
>
>I can also "echo ATDT<phonenum> > /dev/ttyS1" and get the modem to dial
>(and I can hear the phone in the next room ringing). I can then "echo ATH1
>(or ATZ) > /dev/ttyS1" and get the modem to hang up.
>
>The output of plog looks like:
> <date-time>	<comp. name>	chat[144]:	abort on (NO CARRIER)
>   "			"	   "		abort on (VOICE)
>   "			"	   "		abort on (NO DIALTONE)
>   "			"	   "		abort on (NO ANSWER)
>   "			"	   "		send (ATZ^M)
>   "			"	   "		expect (OK)
>   "			"	   "		alarm
>   "			"	   "		Failed
>   "			"	pppd[143]	Connect script failed
>   "			"	pppd[143]	Exit.
>
>It's almost as if the "echo ATDT...." command at the prompt "sees" the
>modem, but the ppp stuff does not see the modem.
>
><snip>
>>I've figured out that if I just type pon the system tries to use the
>>"provider" connection (which doesn't work, presumably because the
>>"provider" files aren't properly configured - it gives an error message
>>about /dev/modem being an unrecognized option). But if I type pon bub
>>(which is what I would have thought would've used the "bub" connection),
>>all that happens is the system thinks for a couple of seconds and then
>>returns me to a prompt. There's no modem activity or messages or
>>anything.
>>
>>Any suggestions as to what I can do different? Thanks!

Kent West			| Technology Support/                 		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|