Re: How to start PPP?

Kent West writes:
> I've just discovered the chat command (I'm a newbie). I can echo a
> command from the prompt to the modem, but when I try "chat "" ATZ OK
> ATDT(phonenum)" the system sits for a while displaying "ATZ" and then
> just returns me to the prompt. As mentioned below, apparently the echo
> command from the prompt "sees" the modem, but chat does not. Any clues?

chat knows nothing about modems.  It just writes each 'send' string to its
standard output and reads its standard input for the matching 'expect'
string.  When pppd runs chat, it connects chat to the modem.  When you run
chat from the command line, it writes to the display and reads the
keyboard.  Try 'chat "" ATZ OK ATDT(phonenum)' again, but this time respond
to the 'ATZ' with 'OK'.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)