Re: How to start PPP?

On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 08:19:08AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> I've just discovered the chat command (I'm a newbie). I can echo a command
> from the prompt to the modem, but when I try "chat "" ATZ OK
> ATDT(phonenum)" the system sits for a while displaying "ATZ" and then just
> returns me to the prompt.

A lot of modems need a lot of time after a ATZ command and get confused when
they receive anything in this period of time. Try to let chat wait a while
after issuing the ATZ. Such effects did puzzle me for a long time.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *