Re: Installation problems

Some time around  Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:19:22 EDT,
         Richard Heller wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm having a couple of problems installing Linux on my machine.  The problem
 > s are revolving around two pieces of hardware, my ethernet card and my video
 >  card.
 >
 > My ethernet card is a 3com 3c905TX card.  During the boot messages, the card
 >  appears to be correctly detected, however I don't seem to be able to commun
 > icate with any other machines.  Every so often, I also get the following mes
 > sages on my screen:
 >
 > eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status ff status fff.
 > eth0: Transmitter encountered 16 collisions -- network cable problem?
 > eth0: Interrupt posted but not delivered -- IRQ blocked by another device?
 > eth0: Host error, FIFO dagnostic register ffff.
 > (That line repeats a bunch of times)
 > eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status ffff.  Temporarily disabling functi
 > ons (7800)

This sounds like you have an irq conflict.  Make sure your card is detected at
the correct irq, and that the irq isn't being used by something else.  If it's
the former, read ethernet HOWTO on how to pass the settings to the kernel on
boot.  If it's the latter, reconfigure your card for another irq.

 > The card works fine under Win98.  Any suggestions?

Win98 is not as strict with IRQ conflicts and may be working around the
problem.

 > My video card is a Real 3D StarFighter AGP card with 8M of RAM.  There doesn
 > 't seem to be any support for this card and when I try to use the SVGA serve
 > r, it detects the amount of RAM wrong.  It thinks I have 64k instead of 8M a
 > nd therefore don't have enough memory to start the server.  At best I can ru
 > n X Windows with 320x200 resolution, which is something I wouldn't wish on m
 > y worst enemy.  Is there an X server out there that works with this card?

What chipset does it have?  Maybe it needs a special server (as opposed to
SVGA) designed for its chipset.  Figure out what chipset your card has, and
search the net for what the status of the driver development is.

 > I was so looking forward to installing Linux.  It kind of sucks that I've hi
 > t these road blocks.

They are not that bad.  Everyone has some kind of problem first time they
install.