TEXINPUTS ?

Dear Debian TeX/LaTeX users,

I have just installed the revtex library under $HOME/tex/sty/revtex, as
in my previous Linux system (2 years old, S.u.S.E. 4.2), under Debian
2.0. Although I have set the variable TEXINPUTS to include
$HOME/tex/sty and $HOME/tex/sty/revtex, the system finds a file
/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc/revtex.cls and stops within it at the line
\input{revtex.sty}, saying that it does not find it (correct, since it
is not in that directory): why doesn't latex find my revtex directory
first? I did not have this problem with the old Linux system (teTeX, as
in Debian).
By the way, who has put that revtex.cls file in ...../misc?
Isn't the user supposed to have a revtex file at all only if he installs
revtex? There is no revtex in the Debian distribution.
Thank you for your help.

Remo
| Dr. Remo Badii             | Paul Scherrer Institute   |
| Nonlinear Dynamics and     | 5232 Villigen PSI         |
| Stochastic Processes Group | Switzerland               |
| badii "at" psi.ch          | http://www1.psi.ch/~badii |