Re: set clock to GMT?

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 09:19:26AM +0100, Vincent Murphy wrote:

> OK, sorry for not making myself clearer in the first place. Here's the
> output from date ; hwclock --show ...
>
>   consigliori:~# date ; hwclock --show
>   Fri Aug 28 10:16:29 IST 1998
>   Fri Aug 28 09:16:29 1998  -1.006290 seconds
>
> hwclock shows the correct time here in Ireland. I would like for date to
> display this time also, using GMT instead of IST. How do I do this?

To have my linux box set to GMT I first used the date command to set the
system time and then used "hwclock --utc --systohc" to set the hardware
clock to the same time as the system.

By the way, (for anybody listening) when I live my PC on for several days
I have found that the hardware clock and th system time differ in HOURS.
Is that OK? Should I use cron to update the hardware clock every now and then?

Rafa