Re: set clock to GMT?

Vincent Murphy <murphyv@wisdom.ucc.ie> writes:
| > | I would like to set my clock so it displays the time relative to GMT
| > | (Greenwich Mean Time) as opposed to anything else. How do I do this?
| > | I installed hamm for scratch using the Dialup set of packages, and I
| > | think xntpd is installed.
| >
| > I'm not sure I'm following what you want. You want to set your BIOS
| > clock to GMT and then have Debian show that when you run apps like
| > xclock, xdaliclock, etc? Let's say you ask some guy on the street what
| > time it is and he says 2pm, what time would you want your computer to
| > tell you it is when you execute the command "date"?
|
| OK, sorry for not making myself clearer in the first place. Here's the
| output from date ; hwclock --show ...
|
|   consigliori:~# date ; hwclock --show
|   Fri Aug 28 10:16:29 IST 1998
|   Fri Aug 28 09:16:29 1998  -1.006290 seconds
|
| hwclock shows the correct time here in Ireland. I would like for date to
| display this time also, using GMT instead of IST. How do I do this?

Gotcha. I think what you want is to set your time zone to GMT. You can
do that with tzconfig. When it asks you for a geographic area just
choose "None of the above" and then you can choose GMT, GMT+0, UTC,
UCT (I think they're all equivalent). This will make it system
wide. You can also do this "per user" by simply putting, for bourne
shells,

TZ=GMT;export TZ

or, for csh

setenv TZ GMT

into your shell init file, e.g., ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.cshrc, etc.

Gary