Re: set clock to GMT?

> | I would like to set my clock so it displays the time relative to GMT
> | (Greenwich Mean Time) as opposed to anything else. How do I do this?
> | I installed hamm for scratch using the Dialup set of packages, and I
> | think xntpd is installed.
>
> I'm not sure I'm following what you want. You want to set your BIOS
> clock to GMT and then have Debian show that when you run apps like
> xclock, xdaliclock, etc? Let's say you ask some guy on the street what
> time it is and he says 2pm, what time would you want your computer to
> tell you it is when you execute the command "date"?

OK, sorry for not making myself clearer in the first place. Here's the
output from date ; hwclock --show ...

  consigliori:~# date ; hwclock --show
  Fri Aug 28 10:16:29 IST 1998
  Fri Aug 28 09:16:29 1998  -1.006290 seconds

hwclock shows the correct time here in Ireland. I would like for date to
display this time also, using GMT instead of IST. How do I do this?

thanks,
vinny