Re: /var/log/messages

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 08:29:33PM -0500, servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> *- Greg Starkes wrote about "/var/log/messages"
> |
> | When I watch /var/log/messages i see the following
> |
> | Aug 26 18:51:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
> | Aug 26 19:11:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
> | Aug 26 19:31:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
> | <snip>
> | Aug 26 21:31:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
> | Aug 26 22:11:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
> | Aug 26 22:31:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
> | <ad nausiem>
> |
> | As you can see, this happens every 20 minutes. What is doing this? It is a
> | pain when I am tailing this file.
> |

> [snip]
>
> It lets you know the machine is alive and kicking, especially for remote
> monitoring.
>
> --
> Brian
> "Never criticize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,
>  because by that time you will be a mile away and have their shoes."
> 							   - unknown
>
> Mechanical Engineering                              servis@purdue.edu
> Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis

With linux i learn something new every day. I was wondering about those
strange MARK messages too. But it doesn't look very dangerous so i didn't
cared. Good to know this linux machine has a heartbeat too ;-)

BTW, does anybody know how to check in a bash script, wheter a PPP
connection is already up ? The /var/run/ppp0.pid file is already created
when the modem is still dialing the phone number.

bye, Stefan