Re: /var/log/messages

*- Greg Starkes wrote about "/var/log/messages"

| When I watch /var/log/messages i see the following
|
| Aug 26 18:51:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
| Aug 26 19:11:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
| Aug 26 19:31:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
| <snip>
| Aug 26 21:31:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
| Aug 26 22:11:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
| Aug 26 22:31:45 greyhawk -- MARK --
| <ad nausiem>
|
| As you can see, this happens every 20 minutes. What is doing this? It is a
| pain when I am tailing this file.

% man syslogd

SYSKLOGD(8)        Linux System Administration        SYSKLOGD(8)

NAME
       sysklogd - Linux system logging utilities.

SYNOPSIS
       syslogd [ -d ] [ -f config file ] [ -h ] [ -l hostlist ] [
       -m interval ] [ -n ] [ -p socket ] [ -r ] [ -s  domainlist
       ] [ -v ]

[snip]

       -m interval
              The syslogd logs a mark  timestamp  regularly.  The
              default interval between two -- MARK -- lines is 20
              minutes. This can be changed with this option.

[snip]

It lets you know the machine is alive and kicking, especially for remote
monitoring.

--
Brian
							   - unknown