RE: diald + ipmasq + samba

I recently got all three above working, with print and mail spooling also
working.

Here's the order that I did all of this:
1. Set up bind on the gateway machine so that it was the DNS authority for the
192.168.1-255/24 subnet and my own little domain name (non-registered) sitting
on these addresses. Also,  all other DNS requests were forwarded to my ISP's DNS
machines and cached.
2. Got the pppconfig package working, so that I could use pon/poff on the
gateway machine.
3. Got the ipf stuff working. Here's the details:
        A. When I installed debian, I made sure it loaded all the ipfXX modules.
        B. From the IP-Masquarade-HOWTO, changed the built /etc/rc.boot/ipmasq
        to (basically, it is the easy way to route 192.168.1.1-255):

                /sbin/ipfwadm -F -f
                /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
                /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

        C. At this point, it is also a good idea to make sure that from a client
        machine other than the gateway, you can telnet to the gateway, login as
        as a user, 'su' to root, do pppconfig's 'pon', and then once the
        internet connection is up, run netscape successfully from the client
        machine.
4. Got diald to work. This I needed a little help from the debian-users,
because I wanted to use the connection script built from pppconfig. It turns
out this was fixed by changing the connect and disconnect properties in
/etc/diald/diald.options to:

connect "chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
disconnect "/usr/bin/poff"

I then also modified /etc/diald/standard.filter by commenting out
the 'accept' parts, and modifying the global entries:

accept tcp 900 any
accept udp 900 any
accept any 900 any

I believe the above pretty much globally tells diald to keep a connection up 15
minutes one it starts up. The 'accept's that I commented out put a much smaller
keep-alive timelimit on certain ip packets, I personally think is silly !

5. Once 4 is working, then on to samba. This is tricky because Samba is so
configurable. The best I can say is pour over the documentation on Samba and
email to debian-users to get this set up the exact way you would like.

The biggest "trick" part to samba I have found is knowing how to have
inetd/xinetd correctly set up. If samba is not working as a standalone daemon,
then it is getting started up through the ip listening of inetd/xinetd.