diald + ipmasq + samba

Hello.  I'm trying to set up a debian 2.0 box as a server in a small
office, using samba to serve files to a few win95 boxes, and ipmasq and
diald to connect to the rest of the world via modem, intermittantly.  I
can get each of the parts to work individually without trouble, but
various things go wrong when I put them all together.  It seems like
every fix I try creates a new problem-- getting diald to work raised the
problem of SMB paackets being forwarded to the modem.  I fixed that only
to find that a tcp request from a win95 box would cause diald to bring up
the link, but the connect would time out (but a request with the link
already up would work fine).  I worked on that for a while only to find
that my samba server isn't showing up in the win95 browse lists.  You get
the picture.  Obviously, my knowledge of networking is not deep enough to
untangle this mess.  I've spent about a week searching through dejanews,
faqs, and web sites, and I don't feel any closer to an answer.  I've
upgraded diald and ipmasq using packages from slink, but so far no luck.

I know there's at least one user out there who has a working config,
right?  If you do, could you please get in touch with me?  I don't want to
tell my client that he has to buy a modem for each win95 machine-- this is
a project with an almost nonexistant budget (all of the machines are
486 class boxes).

I will put together a mini-howto if I ever get this working.

please respond to the address below-- I have a separate account subbed to
the list, and I'm likely to miss a reply sent there.

	Discouraged in Seattle,
	--Ed Slocomb,
	eds@subpop.com