Re: diald + ipmasq + samba

I don't have any trouble configuring Samba.
It's the combination of Samba, ipmasq, and diald that I'm wrestling with.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Beattie <mickyb@es.co.nz>
To: eds@subpop.com <eds@subpop.com>
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Sunday, August 23, 1998 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: diald + ipmasq + samba

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, debian-user list wrote:

> Hello.  I'm trying to set up a debian 2.0 box as a server in a small
> office, using samba to serve files to a few win95 boxes, and ipmasq and
> diald to connect to the rest of the world via modem, intermittantly.  I
> can get each of the parts to work individually without trouble, but
> various things go wrong when I put them all together.  It seems like
> every fix I try creates a new problem-- getting diald to work raised the
> problem of SMB paackets being forwarded to the modem.  I fixed that only
> to find that a tcp request from a win95 box would cause diald to bring up
> the link, but the connect would time out (but a request with the link
> already up would work fine).  I worked on that for a while only to find
> that my samba server isn't showing up in the win95 browse lists.
[snip]

This is my configuration:

[global]
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   workgroup = WorkGroup1
   server string = Mike's Linux PC
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.

[c]
   comment = Mike's DOS C: Drive
   writable = yes
   path = /mnt/c
   public = yes

I have my DOS drive mounted so that a friend can still get stuff from it,
even when I use linux...

Anyway, it shows up properly in his browse list.
I did have a problem recently with the M$ DUN upgrade, installed on a
second friend's PC, it killed the network continuity.. So, use
`smbclient -L [host]` on all the machines, and check that your Linux box
can "see" all of the others. I could not see my second friends PC.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)