Re: PPP as normal user

Brian writes:
> If I issue 'pppd file /etc/ppp/peers/provider' then it seg faults!!!!!

Doesn't for me.  Note, however, that 'pppd file /etc/ppp/peers/provider' is
*not* the same as 'pppd call provider'.  The latter will accept privileged
options in provider.

With my options file removed, ''pppd call provider' works fine for root but
not for an ordinary user.  A check of the source shows that this is the
intended behavior.  The purpose is security: the sysadmin may have put
privileged options such as 'auth' in the options file and would not want a
user to be able to evade them.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)