ping: sendto: Operation not permitted

Has anyone ever seen the Subject: line's message before?

I just compiled 2.0.34 to get ip masqing going, and I appear in the process
thereof to have trashed something really basic. Ecch! I get this whether I
ping a local host, a remote host, or the machine itself.

The system's ifconfig and routing tables look ok. It will dial up my ISP and
get an IP assigned which duly appears in both those tables. But it then acts
as if there's no DNS available, which there is, as I can verify by connecting
with another machine to the same ISP.

This is beginning to feel like an incipient brain tumor slowly robbing me of
what little sanity I have left!

Bob Bernstein at Esmond, R.I.