Re: How do I prevent Ctrl+Alt+Q from killing my X server?

"Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu> writes:
| > I'll have to go with Jens on this one. Doesn't happen on either of my
| > Debian boxes. One running a Matrox MilleniumI (XF86_SVGA) and the
| > other an IBM Thinkpad 755C (also running the XF86_SVGA server, I
| > believe). It must be specific to your server or your configuration.
|
| ahah.  Just the person I needed to find :)
|
| I picked up a 755C 20/340 while on vacation a few weeks ago.
|
| Generally no problem to install (after the initial floppy/
| RTFM problems :), though transferring a full insall from disk was a
| pain.
|
| But a couple of big questions:
|
| 1) do you have the apm stuff working?  Particularly, can you charge the
| battery?  At the moment, I'm trying to reinstall the dark-side so that
| I can use its utilities with wine.  Really, all I need is to create a
| hibernation file on a dos partition (it's use is governed by hardware
| once set), and to get the battery to charge.

I'm afraid I won't be of much help as our situations are very
different. My 755 runs ONLY Debian. No DOS, no Windows, no emulators,
just Debian.

I haven't worried about APM much. The main use for the Thinkpad has
been when I'm sitting in a Motel room and want to check email or do
some light work, so, when I need to use it it's almost always plugged
in.

Plus, we've had this 755 for a couple of years now and I think the
battery has quit accepting a charge. Even when it's powered down the
battery will not recharge. The battery status LED is always solid
orange and the battery charging LED never comes on.

Of course this all could be related to the fact that I haven't made an
effort to get APM going, but, as long as it works when it's plugged in
it's not an issue for me.

| 2)  if you still have the dark side, how big should the thinkpad
| directory be?  mine is just shy of 1.4M, or 97% of a dos floppy.
| however, I get errors reporting missing windows, and most of the dos
| versions of utilities seem to be missing.

I'm afraid you've lost me on this one. I don't even know what the
"dark side" is, other than a powerful evil force permeating our
universe? :)

| 3) is there anything funny about ppp I should know?

This depends on the modem you use. We use a MegaHertz combo
Ethernet/Modem card. It is well supported by the PCMCIA stuff and I
didn't have any problem at all setting it up to run SLIP or PPP.

| thanks

Sorry I couldn't help much!

Gary