Re: PPP as normal user

Brian writes:
> This fix doesn't seem like the right way to fix this problem.]

The right way is to figure out what happened to your options file and then
purge and reinstall ppp.

> Why would running it as root NOT fail when the options file is not
> present and when run as a user it needs to have the options file present.

Some pppd options are privileged and may only be given in certain files (or
not at all) when the user is not root.  Root, on the other hand, can give
all options on the command line.  Therefor it isn't too surprising that
root can run pppd with no options file.