debian vs others

Hi,
I know it is kind of silly to ask what is better debian vs redhat on a
debian list but here goes anyway.
I have used various distro including redhat, caldera and suse and have not
been really happy with any of them.
I read an article about debian and was sort of intrigued.
I like what I read about there package system and being able to upgrade
automatically from ftp sites.
So anyone out there who uses debian now who used to use one of the
distro's, I would appreciate if you could tell me what you like about it
better.
Also do you think debian will continued to be developed?
I read somewhere that the head of the progect quite because he thought the
progress was not fast enough.
Thanks For Your Time
Rick

Rick Knebel