Re: debian vs others

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 09:00:17AM -0500, Rick Knebel wrote:
> I have used various distro including redhat, caldera and suse and have not
> been really happy with any of them.
> I read an article about debian and was sort of intrigued.
> I like what I read about there package system and being able to upgrade
> automatically from ftp sites.
> So anyone out there who uses debian now who used to use one of the
> distro's, I would appreciate if you could tell me what you like about it
> better.

Hello Rick!

I used to have SuSE installed prior, somewhen back in 95. It was my first
Linux system. Then I found Debian, it was a quick decision.

With Debian I know that my machine is in good hands. The Debian developers
are here, right now, on this list and others, to help the users. Indeed,
very soon I became a participant on my own.

Debin is ahead of the time. We have the latest software packaged, and in
excellent quality. Linux is so ernormous, you need an enormous project to
keep a distribution up to date. Debian counts 400 people working on it, this
speaks for itself.

You can´t just bundle a few files together, the different parts need to work
together. Debian has developed a system to make this possible without much
overhead.

> Also do you think debian will continued to be developed?
> I read somewhere that the head of the progect quite because he thought the
> progress was not fast enough.

Glad you asked. We have released Debian 2.0 recently, and our ftp site already
fills up with new software for the next release. We are working on a
documentation system, on easier package installation, and the new way to
organize the files in the system (FHS vs. FSSTND).

Debian is one of the distributions that is raising speed with the general
Linux development. This means that it is changing form (for example, it is
simply growing). Sometimes, people feel no longer comfortable with the way
the project is going, and then they depart.

Thank you,
Marcus