Re: debian vs others

On 08/26/98 at 09:00 AM, Rick Knebel <rknebel@rknebel.csrlink.net> said:

>I read an article about debian and was sort of intrigued.  I like what
>I read about there package system and being able to upgrade
>automatically from ftp sites.

Well, I started with Debian, went to Red Hat and came back to Debian.  I
guess I qualify.

Red Hat:
Pro:
Fast setup with X setup correctly during install.

Con:
No apparent logic to file locations.
It was a pain to change anything.
Fvwm95 isn't my idea of a good default window manager.
It felt like I was running a stable Win95 (which I _ONLY_ run at work;
then only by force while pointing out every single glitch, braindead
idea, and how much time I'm wasting) I felt constrained.
RPM is nuts
couldn't use the IDE CD to load onto one box (Debian loaded from the
same box on the same CD, RH didn't have a useable driver)

Debian:
Con:
X was a real pain to get working
Never did get Intel Ethernet Pro 10+ ISA card to work (switched to SMC
card)

Pro:
The file locations are about exactly like my old DOS file structure.
DPKG/dselect
Commited to using free software (CD is broken up in an easily
understandable manner) Seems to be laid out in a more traditional Unix
fashion.
Less buggy releases

George

personal:  http://user.icx.net/~grimel/MyPlace.html

I'm on a journey; "A Journey: Back to the Book of Acts".
Find out why http://user.icx.net/~grimel/back2acts.html

Best viewed at true colors