Re: Debian New User

On 11 Aug 98 02:14:52 GMT, in linux.debian.user trickstr@eagnet.com
wrote:

>I just recently installed the debian version of linux and now I have a few
>question...
>
>1. I downloaded a few extra packaged from the debian www site, now; I use a
>dual system (linux on one HD, Win95 on another). When i d/l the files they
>had the extension of .Deb and I placed them on floppy. Next started linux
>and ran dselect and tried to add the new packages and I could not do it
>cause there needed to be some sort of package list for the file/files.
>Anyone know what I am takling over here. if pls help.

Sure thing.  If you didn't know, dselect is a front-end to a program
to dpkg, and you can use that directly to install, remove, configure
packages directly (as opposed to working on a collection of packages,
requiring a package list).

Use "dpkg -i filename.deb" to install the package of your choice from
the floppy.

By the way, you can avoid floppies altogether by mounting your Win95
partition under Linux.  If your Win95 partition is /dev/hda1 and you
want to mount it at /mnt/windows, type this:

"mount /dev/hda1 -t vfat /mnt/windows"

If you have vfat compiled into your kernel, then you can access those
downloaded .debs directly.  Try "man mount" and "man dpkg" to find out
more about these two programs.

>2. What packages and programs are needed to dial up to isp and log onto the
>i-net. And any tips on setting up a modem?

Take a look at the "wvdial" package - very handy.  You'll need PPP
installed and configured as well, but it would help if you had a try
first and told us how far you've got.

Good luck!

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."