Re: Nuking damned scrambled consoles.

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Christopher Barry wrote:

 : Hi,
 :
 : Every now and then I do a little goof-up that scrambles a virtual
 : console and I'm sure we all do sometimes but lately I've been doing a
 : little programming and if I accidentally gib a string argument then it
 : corrupts the console every single time so I quickly run out of all 6
 : consoles and am forced to reboot.

Try the 'reset' command.  You won't be able to read it, but it'll work
(usually).

 : Now, there has GOT to be a way to recover a scrambled console, right?
 : Why isn't there protection for this in the first place? I don't see why
 : this would ever be desired behavior, unless this property is somehow
 : essential for 'correctness'?

Well, ppp uses a "scrambled" console to set up the link, so it is
desired behavior (though not in your case!)  Remember, UNIX doesn't do
much to protect you from yourself.

 : Also, if there are any vim users reading this what does ^x ^s do? I
 : sometimes accidentally type this when I mean to save a file (bad habit
 : from using ae), and this seems to lock up vim pretty hard.

I don't use vim, but I'm pretty sure that ^s and ^q are software flow
control characters ... ^s means "stop sending" and ^q means "start
sending".  If you type a ^s and the screen quits "working", type ^q and
all should be well again.

(I always thought these two characters did the reverse, but I guess my
memory is poor).

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD