Re: kermel make overrwites symbolic link, confusing lilo

"Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu> writes:

| I don't think I've seen this one before . . .
|
| I have /boot mounted on the first partition, a single cylinder.
| /vmlinux is a symbolic link to /boot/vmlinux-2.0.33.  Rather than
| following the link, "make  zImage zlilo" is placing a vmlinuz in /,
| undoing the old link, and crossing the 1023 cylinder boundry.  I'm
| pretty sure that this didn't used to happen, since I didn't used to
| have a problem :)

I can't really help with this specifically, but I'd definately
recommend that if you're building your own kernels under Debian you
learn to use the make-kpkg utility (it's part of the kernel-package
package in the "misc" section under dselect). It's very easy to use
and it's the Debian Way (TM) to create and install your own custom
kernels. It basically creates a kernel-image*.deb file that you
install just like you do with the official Debian kernel-image*.deb
files. It puts things in their correct place and offers to run lilo
for you. Might be a good idea to look into it!

Quick steps:

1) Unpack the kernel source (either in the form of a Debian
kernel-source package or raw kernel source)

2) Go into the directory where the source was unpacked, e.g.,
/usr/src/linux.

3) Do one of "make config", or "make menuconfig", or "make xconfig"

4) Build the kernel package with make-kpkg (which compiles everything
for you, no "make zImage" & "make modules" required)
	make-kpkg --revision mykernel.1 --zimage kernel_image

5) cd ..

6) dpkg -i kernel-image-2.0.35_mykernel.1_i386.deb

You're done!

Gary