Re: Linus Torvalds interview

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 12:03:58PM -0400, tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:
> Ever try replacing a Motherboard on a "win95" system?

    Yes.  In fact, I swapped machines around the HDs to test a theory of
mine.

> That "fabulous, great, decent OS" loses it's mind! You see, all
> information about the hardware is kept in the registry files. When the
> Id's of the old MB (in the registry) don't match the new Id's of the new
> MB, all H-LL breaks loose.

    That hell, of course, is that Windows is updating the drivers supplied
by the manufacturer(s) for their motherboard.  One reboot is all that is
needed.  I know, like I said, I did it.  Swapped a whole machine around the
HDs.  One machine had Win95 on it, another had Win95 and WinNT.

    Am I advocating Windows?  No.  What I am doing is quelling some serious
BULLSHIT here.

> In contrast, Linux boots up without so much as a single hick-up and runs
> fine!

    This is also true since I've does the "swap" of a machine from around a
HD with Linux.

> You are right, the time is irrelevent, however, where is the "peer" review of
> the inner workings of Win95/98? I get extremely irritated when an application
> hoses the whole nine yards and I lose hours of labor to the "blue screen of
> death". I've yet to lose anything within Linux.  Apparently, the "Win95
> advocates" think that it is ok for the OS to lock down or freeze. Perhaps they
> are numbed by the inability to fix the problem(s).

    Apparently you're doing something wrong.  Because this *LINUX* advocate
has a Win95/WinNT machine at home that rivals the uptimes of my Linux box.
I have yet to lose data on that machine because of the OS, same as my Linux
box.  In fact, at one time I ran on a single machine OpenDOS, Win95, WinNT,
OS/2 and Linux (Slackware).  I had no problems with any of them.

    So, no, I don't think it is right that the OS dies unexpectedly.  My
experience is different than yours.  Wonder why that is?  I don't think I am
gifted with any knowledge that you're not.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my