Re: Can only play mp3 files as root.

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Christopher Barry wrote:

> Richard L. Alhama wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Christopher Barry wrote:
> >

> > Can you decode any mp3 files using mpg123?  I'm having some troubles with
> > X11Amp myself.  So I'm using eMusic or mpg123 for an mp3 decoder.
>
> What problems specifically are you having with x11amp? The procedure for
> install seems to be:
>
> 1) grab x11amp from hamm
> 2) dselect it
> 3) adduser user_name audio
> 4) chmod 770 /dev/audio /dev/dsp /dev/mixer
> (after adding myself to group audio properly I wonder how many of those
> permissions I really needed to change....)
> 5) log out and then back in so that the group changes go into effect
>
> X11Amp is the best looking mp3 player, as there are hundreds of skins to
> choose from and you can make your own with The Gimp. And as a long time
> NT/Windows user I'm really used to Winamp so it's nice to have the
> familiarity.

eMusic is the best looking out there IMHO.

> I won't be using x11amp for forever though. I went to their page and
> looked all over for the source or any references to a lack thereof and
> then I mailed their programmer about it and he said they are planning on
> going commercial and may release the source to the mp3 decoder itself
> someday since they basically started off with an open source mpeg
> decoder but they will never release the source to the entire package.
> And since they didn't make their own gui either but rather copied
> Winamp's pixel for pixel, it seems that the only 'real' programming they
> did was the playlist editor and the ability to actually use Winamp's
> skins, which is not a whole lot of innovation to be releasing a
> commercial product, IMHO.

I can't play any mp3 files, that's it.

So I resort to the CLI to play it. I'm looking forward on d/l'ing a gtk
frontend to mpg123.  Or making one myself using gtk, but I think
there are way too many gui frontends out there so I might as well use them.

                  /\  Richard L. Alhama, Technical Support
 ,,''             \/  Cyberspace Laoag,ISP
  ``,,                http://www2.cyberspace.com.ph/~keyoz
"Overuse of the smiley is a mark of loserhood!" --The Jargon File
  *''