Re: DVD support for linux

Shaleh wrote:

> Curt E. Spann wrote:
> >What video card should I get?
>
> You ask later so I will kill two birds with one stone.  AGP is both
> poorly supported and a waste of money.  AGP cards can actually lessen
> system performance.  System resources are stolen to give the enhanced
> video.  Also numerous motherboards have problems sharing AGP and other
> slots.  Best recommendation is to avoid them (yeah I will get flack for
> this one).

	Of course, you could go for an Alpha (more bucks, but worth it) and get
a 64-bit PCI machine with a 64-bit video -- and SCSI controller, and
whatever -- card.

	Be warned that Debian Alpha is yet beta.

> > If I have a choice between SCSI and Ultra ATA system which should I
> > get?  SCSI is a little more expensive but is it really worth it?
>
> For a home workstation SCSI is not a great gain unless you intend to
> really beat the hard drive.  Even then the new IDE's make this
> questionable.  You will find that many UNIX vendors are shipping IDE in
> all but the highest end machines.

	AFAIK, workstation vendors ship IDE (ATA) systems only in the
lowest-end machines, like the Darwin Suns (Ultra 5 and Ultra 10).

	At http://www.adaptec.com./ there are some interesting remarks about
the matter.

--
Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete Dutra