Re: DVD support for linux

On 23-Jul-1998, Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
> Fun Fun Fun
>
> Curt E. Spann wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >     I getting ready to purchase a new system but before I do I need to know
> > some stuff.  First does Linux support dvd drives.
> Probably not yet.  And since the DVD videos will also likely be useless
> ther is not much point.  DVD is nice for TV's, waste of time for
> computers.

DVD drives show up as a large CD-ROM.  There shouldn't be any problems
with them.  My DVD drive seems to works fine under Linux, but I don't
have much use for it under Linux (truth be told, a rarely even use a
CD under Linux).  I wouldn't mind listening/watching DVDs in a window
if Linux supported it, though.

Since Debian 2.0 is spread across at least 3 CDs, and would *easily* fit on
a single side, single layer DVD, I don't think "DVD is a waste of time
for computers".  It would be a great way to distribute software.

DVD-Video might be a "waste" but then so is Video-CD support, but plenty
of people are interested in that for Linux (so much so that kernel
was modified to support it).  DVD-Video would be a very useful feature
to support for games.  Of course for *real work* it's useless (in fact,
probably harmful!).  Then again, for real work, using the CD-Rom to play
audio files is useless.

--
       Tyson Dowd           # "Bill Gates is a white persian cat and a monocle
                            # away from becoming another James Bond villan."