Re: upgrading form lib5 to lib6

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Vicent Josep Pla Bosca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have got installed in my PC lib5. I need some other packages which
> depend on lib6, then I tried to install lib6 but it interacts with
> lib5. Uninstalling lib5 scares me, since there are too many packages
> depending on this library.
>
> To sum up, can anyone asure me that if I replace lib5 by lib6
> everything which is running at present will keep on doing so ?.

NO! It will not.  There is a definite procedure which must be
followed--you cannot just remove libc5 and install libc6.

There are three ways to accomplish this, they all work:

1.  Get the HOWTO documentation at
http://www.gate.net/~storm/FAQ/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.txt and follow it
very carefully.

2.  Get the autoup.sh script at http://www.taz.net.au/autoup/autoup/
Running this script will cause the required files to be fetched and
installed in the correct order (this performs the steps described in the
HOWTO).

3.  Install apt and run 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  The bo version of apt may
be found at http://www.debian/org/~jgg/apt_0.0.17-1bo0_i386.deb (be sure
to read the documentation in this package).

Upgrading to libc6 the correct way will result in also having a working
libc5 on your system as well.  You will, in fact, be upgrading to Debian
2.0 (aka hamm) in this process.

The "official" release of Debian 2.0 is now 51 hours away.  Beat the rush.

Bob

----