Re: memtest

> E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
> > > what would happen if I use a number bigger than your, e.g. 67108865 or
> > > even 70000000?
> >
> > Swapping.  This will happen already if you use an amount as big as your
> > memory, because it is quite likely that you use at least some part of
> > your physical memory.  If you go beyond your physical + swap size, the
> > program will hopefully be terminated if it tries to use all of it.  Just
> > try it : )
>
> other than the memtest, is there any other (better) program I can use to
> test the memory?

Generally kernel compiles are regarded as real stress tests for the
memory system.  If you can do a `make clean; make -j 8 zImage' several
times without getting any signal 11 errors, your memory is very probably
OK.  (the -j option specifies how many jobs will run in parallel; 8 may
be a bit too much)

Eric