Re: [Debian] iso9660 in 2.0.34 ?

On 14 Jul 1998 18:21:21 -0500, you wrote:

>	Rubbish. Please do not spread FUD. I have, at times, a round
> dozen kernel images on my machine, all compiled with
> kernel-package. I even have 2-3 2.0.34 images *ON AT THE SAME TIME*.
> Look at my lilo.conf, 5 (count it, five) different options.
>
>	kernel-package is about flexibility and ease of use, not for
> putting peole in a straight jacket.
>
>	Please investigate before making assumptions about things.

[big snip]

Having just installed Debian (coming from a Slackware version out of
the back of a book) and being inundated with all the packages I could
install (Debian 1.3.1, Version 2 beta cd in the post) I saw this
make-kpkg package and, after reading article from people here on the
list, thought I'd give it a try. I'm still a fairly novice user, but I
manage to blunder my way around.
After remembering the name (after trying make-kpg, make-dkpg,
make-kdpg, find | grep make- :)
Ah ha! found it. man make-kpkg. Humm, thats a bit short. man
kernel-package.conf (or what ever it's called, I'm away from my
machine at the moment). It appears the only option I want to set is
the option to put the compiled kernel image in /boot. So I set this
(you must set this option to true it says, but dosn't give an example
about how to do it).
Does make-kpkg run config for you? It dosn't say. I run make config
first, and the run make-kpkg. Off it goes and makes my kernel. I
wonder off to make a cup of tea, and do the washing up. Come back and
it's finished.
It hasn't made or installed the modules, it hasn't put the kernel into
/boot. All it seems to have done is compile my kernel for me.

All the functionallity you describe sounds really good, I (and many
others by the sounds of things) might be missing the point here, but
how do we USE this marvelous package? Is there any documentation,
because the man pages are really, really poor. If there is no
documentation, then this package is fairly usless unless you know how
to use it correctly.

A little pointer to how to start using the package correctly would be
nice.
--
Matthew Collins
Mitral Systems Ltd