Re: Time Server

Daniel Mashao <daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za> writes:

> Long time ago when I was new to Linux I had a nice program that updated my
> system clock with time from somewhere on the net. Now I need that program
> again and have a hard time finding it using search engines and searching
> the infinite sunsite. Anybody knows what I am talking about and where I
> can find it?

You may consider using NTP or rdate (found in the netstd package).

Chris

--
// Chris Broult http://www.info.unicaen.fr/lpv

broult@chicago:~ $ dpkg --status xntp3
Package: xntp3
Section: net
Installed-Size: 384
Maintainer: Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
Version: 5.93-2
Replaces: xntp
Depends: libc6
Conflicts: xntp
Conffiles:
 /etc/cron.weekly/xntp3 4db595b81ca7ae4fda584fb92516a40d
 The Network Time Protocol allows for the synchronization of clocks on
 networked computers.  The xntpd daemon implements NTP, allowing Unix
 systems to participate in this synchronization.
 .
 NTP was designed with attention to details which might introduce
 systematic bias into the computations, and the protocol is capable of
 synchronizing with even the most precise external time sources.
 .
 The NTP protocol supported by xntpd is defined in RFC's 1059, 1119, and
 1305 for versions 1, 2, and 3, respectively.  For more information on how
 NTP works, and how to configure a campus of xntpd daemons, load the optional
 Debian package 'xntp3-doc'.

broult@chicago:~ $