Re: Time Server

Daniel Mashao <daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za> writes:

> Long time ago when I was new to Linux I had a nice program that updated my
> system clock with time from somewhere on the net. Now I need that program
> again and have a hard time finding it using search engines and searching
> the infinite sunsite. Anybody knows what I am talking about and where I
> can find it?

Searching for ``xntp'' should give you many references.  It is also
avalable as a Debian package on the latest CD.  (It may also be on
older CDs, but I can't check).

  debian/hamm/hamm/binary-i386/net/xntp3-doc_5.93-2.deb
  debian/hamm/hamm/binary-i386/net/xntp3_5.93-2.deb

xntp may be an overkill.  If all you want to do is sych your local
clock to that of your ISP once or twice a day, have a look at
``netdate'' which should be part of the base system.  Ask your
admin/ISP for the name or IP addr of a system you can get the time
from (It does not have to run a special server for netdate).

man netdate

This will align your clock with the ISP's system:
    netdate -l 30  udp host.yourdomain.za}

Cheers
--
Manfred