Re: [off topic] Mail with no destination?

BL> I am assuming that there must still be enough 'broken' mail
BL> servers "out there" that it is still possible to move mail that
BL> is not RFC compliant but I am totally mystified as to how a
BL> message that has no destination can be forwarded by any mail
BL> server!?

This "routing" information has nothing to do with a To: or Cc: or similar
header. Try "telnet localhost smtp" and enter "help".

A sample "mailsession" could be:

220-haitech.martin.home Smail-3.2.0.101 (#2 1998-Mar-18) ready at Sun, 17 May 1998 18:21:21 +0200 (CEST)
220 ESMTP supported
HELO localhost
250 haitech.martin.home Hello localhost (localhost from address [127.0.0.1]).
MAIL FROM: martin@localhost
250 martin@localhost ... Sender Okay
RCPT TO: martinb@localhost
250 'martinb@localhost' <martinb@(nodomain)> Recipient Okay.
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
Hi,
no Headers here. Usualy, the first lines are the To and From etc. headers
(seperated by a blank line from the messagebody) you see in your mail
programm.
.
250 Mail accepted
QUIT
221 haitech.martin.home closing connection

Well, almost no header. Smail will insert some headers, but maybe your ISP's
daemon doesn't. Here is what smail inserts: