[off topic] Mail with no destination?

I had my first 'fetchmail failure'.  Fetchmail error-ed out when
retrieving mail from my ISP night before last.  The fetchmail error
was something along the lines of "no valid domain name for sender".

Upon starting netscape and configuring it to POP mail from my ISP,
I let netscape pull down the errant message and the remaining
messages on the ISP.  When I looked at the full headers in the
errant message there not only was no domain name for the sender
but there was no header of any kind for the originator of the
message.

I thought that was strange until I also realized that there was
not ANY sort of destination header.  In other words, in
examining the headers provided no clue as to not only who
originated the message but who was supposed to receive the
message (not even a 'TO: Friend@public.com' sort of thing).

I am assuming that there must still be enough 'broken' mail
servers "out there" that it is still possible to move mail that
is not RFC compliant but I am totally mystified as to how a
message that has no destination can be forwarded by any mail
server!?

Has anyone else seen anything like this (ie:  No destination
header at all)?

--
best,
-bill