Toshiba and HP's GNU/Linux compatibility

Hi all!

I'll buy a notebook computer shortly, and one of my prime concerns is
that GNU/Linux will not only run on it somehow, but actually use the
available hardware features. At the moment, I'm considering the
Toshiba Satellite 300 CDT and the HP Omnibook 2000 (+ internal CDROM
for its accessory bay). To judge from the "Linux on Laptops" Page
(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/), Toshiba in
general seems to be quite compatible with Linux, and HP far less so
(though, or maybe because, it has the more interesting hardware). But
the exact models I'm interested in have not been reviewed there.

So, is anyone out there running GNU/Linux on one of these machines and
can tell me about his experiences?

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan