trick in dpkg ; obsolete package

Hi all,
I have two questions to ask. One concerns the probelmatic missing package
elf-x11r6lib. the package gs-alladin version 4.03-7 depends on this (I
know there is a newer version but this is another story ) As the elf-..
package is nowhehre to be found I did the following. I edited the
/var/lib/dpkg/status file and included the following

Package: elf-x11r6lib
Version: 2.4-3

Since I knew from past mails that this dependence is a bug and should not
affect the installation of gs I thought it was a good idea. Is there any
risk involved ??

Second question: I have noticed that the  bdflush is obsolete abd should
be replaced wwith update Is there any risk in removing bdflush and
installing update with force if necessary ?? Somebody said that doing this
with base package mesed up his computer Any ideas ?? Any reason for doing
the upgrade to update ??

                          Thanks
                          George

George Kapetanios