getty and hyperterminal to get debian packages from Windows machine?

I am trying to get debian packages to install on my machine by linking from
my Linux box to a WindowsNT PC with a null-modem.
On the Linux box I issue the following command to try to set-up a
connection:
getty ttyS0 9600
On the Windows PC, I open hyperterminal on COM1 with the settings 9600
8-n-1
then I get the following in hyperterminal:
Debian GNU Linux 1.3 debian ttyS0

debian login: <username>
Password: <password>

I type in the username and the password prompt comes up, I type in the
password ( which IS displayed) and wait . . . .

about 2 minutes later I get the following on the Linux box:

Alarm clock

then my usual prompt.

What am I doing wrong?
I am not allowed to connect the Linux machine to the company network, this
is the only way I have of getting the packages to install on my machine,
many of them are to large for floppy.
If I can't get this machine set-up soon, I guess I'll be stuck using
Micro$oft Windows to try to learn to program C.

Cheers,

     John Gay