Re: ssh question

On Sun, 10 May 1998, G. Kapetanios wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> After some security incident on my network I decided to set up ssh.
> I think I have figured most things of interest to me out. However,
> before I had rsh in ascript to start my mail program which is another host
> through FvwmButtons. Now that I disabled rsh I tried to figure a way to do
> the same with slogin. I figured the way but it involves setting
> authorisation keys without passphrases. How bad is this ? Am I loosing all
> security ? Am I better off with rsh in this case ? And another related
> wuestion: When I disabled rsh I simply chmoded the programs 700.
> Now I can't use rsh as a simple user (although I can as root) even if I
> set the permissions as they used to be. I get a message saying
> rcmd: socket: Permission denied
> Obviously the programs to set sssh involve some secure sockets. Is there a
> workaround or not for this  ??
>
>                             Thanks for any comment
>                             George

ssh CAN replace both rsh and rlogin,  To do things as you would with rsh,
you use 'ssh <command>'.  The trick is that you must first put the public
keys for each system into either /etc/ssh or your .ssh directory (in the
files ssh_known_keys or known_keys respectively).  The easiest way to do
this is to slogin from one machine to the other, and then do the same from
the other machine back again - manually approving authentication each
time (by the way - slogin is just an alias for ssh).

Hope that helps,

chris