Re: ppp setup issues..

John, thanks, very useful.

I hope this all finds it's way into a FAQ; (before it changes!).

Greg

Gregory Guthrie writes:
> My system calls /etc/init.d/ppp, which seems to do the same general thing
> as /usr/bin/pon.

Right.

init calls /etc/init.d/ppp which calls pppd with appropriate options.

pppd reads /etc/ppp/options, reads ~/.ppprc, scans the command line
for a port name, reads /etc/ppp/options.ttyXX, and then interprets the
command line options.  In case of conflict the later option overrides the
earlier.  Thus /etc/ppp/options contains defaults that always apply unless
overridden, ~/.ppprc contains options pertaining to the user running pppd,
options.ttyXX contains options pertaining to the selected port, and the
command line contains options pertaining to this particular connection.

> On my system (Debian), in init.d the ppp file calls pppd, with an
> explicit `cat /etc/ppp.options_out` [note backticks] for arguments.

/etc/ppp.options_out is where you should put your local customizations.
IMHO '-f /etc/ppp.options_out' should have been used so that the file could
be commented.

> What is the difference in using "-detach &"...

'-detach' says don't go into the background.  '&' says go into the
background.  The combination does nothing.  Leave it out.

Debian 2.0 will use pppd-2.3.3 and handle the options in a completely
different and much better way.

Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
       Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)