System hang while loading Serial Module

I recently installed Debian v1.3 on an old intel 386 test system. Everything
in the installation went fine (but I did have to low-level format the hard
drive to make the partitions properly). After the installation I rebooted
the system like it asked me to. It seemed that everything was loading up OK
until it trys to load the serial module after initializing the random number
generator.

Here is what it says on the screen after the number generator is loaded :
Configuring serial ports..../dev/ttyS0: No such device
failed...
  Trying to load the serial module manually...
Serial Driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
After this is displayed the system hangs.
I know that COM1 on this computer is IRQ 4 but the UART is only 8250.. but
Linux seems to think its a 16450..

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Ian Seyler
seylerg@golden.net