NE2000

	Hi All.

	I have a NE2000 card on my 486DX4 100MHz server, running a hamm
Debian (upgraded whenever possible - something like twice a week... ;)
And, recently, I encountered a problem: the cable that links the NE card
to the HUB (3comm) has been changed from coaxial to UTP and so, our
network conection has gone away... :( I have tried by all means to recover
it, but with no success (I also do not have the manual of the card...).

	Well, by now, what I know is that this little NE2000 can be
reconfigured to use UTP with the aid of a Config Disk, booting DOS, and
that its new UTP configuration will be kept on a kind of EPROM (or
something like this...). Is this correct ? Do I have to find such a
config-disk and boot into DOS-mode to reconfigure this card ? And what
about upgrading to a 3COM 509 ? Is it a good idea ? (although I know that
3Com cards are better than this NE2000 I am not sure if I can afford such
a change right now, so I am asking just for the sake of prevention and
possible future upgrades... ;)

	Thanks in advance,

				Daniel.
Daniel Doro Ferrante            email: danieldf@fma.if.usp.br
				       danieldf@ime.usp.br
				       danieldf@lnx00.cecm.usp.br
System & Network Administrator  http://www.cecm.usp.br/~danieldf

CECM - Curso de Ciencias Moleculares - USP
       Course of Molecular Sciences - University of Sao Paulo